My good friend, Nick Belperio, who single-handedly turned me back into a reader, recently told me that book jacket design is one of his obsessions.
- Until he brought it up, I had never given it much thought. Perhaps because most of my reading centers around biographies and business-related topics.
- I can’t say I have ever bought – or even necessarily judged – a book by its cover.
- But Nick’s passion and knowledge of the subject prompted me to dig deeper. After all, you must investigate when a knowledgeable friend tells you: “Some of the most creative and gorgeous package design is in books. It’s migrated there from album covers and movie posters which used to be the most creative and visually innovative.”
- In checking out their websites and stories, I can understand why this might become an obsession.
- My questions for Nick and my fellow readers: how does the jacket design influence your decision to buy a book and secondly, how does it influence the reading experience?
See below for my 5 key takeaways after digging deeper into this subject.