Gendala is one of the most fascinating, “out-there” women I know (an Aquarius of course!). Besides being fearless and crazy cool, she’s totally inspiring and an entrepreneur to the core! I feel lucky to have her in my circle. Originally from Houston (she gets back there often enough to know how to handle a weapon for sure), she moved to New York City a couple of years ago. I met her through mutual friends from Columbus Ohio, where she had moved after Houston, opening Phia Salon in the Short North.
Read below the break about some of Gendala’s NYC and Brooklyn favorites including Gimme Coffee, Bikram Yoga and Free People.
YOUR 3 FAVORITE PLACES TO GET A FIX ON WHAT’S NEW AND INFLUENTIAL
1. I love exploring the streets of New York with the fresh perspective of somebody new to the city.
2. The New Yorker, gives inspiration and understanding of the city.
Our clients are essentially the New York experience – some of the most interesting artists, writers, editors, photographers, designers, etc. It’s a melting pot of relevant couturial inspiration.
And also working with great stylists from around the world at NYFW….
3 BRANDS/ STORES/ SERVICES YOU CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT
1. Free People – It’s essential.
2. Bikram Yoga – It’s the opportunity to stretch, do cardio, weight lift and meditate all at the same time.
3. Juice Press – I’m drawn to physical, mental and emotional connections and my body has an emotional experience with their food.
WHAT’S NEW IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD THAT WE SHOULD CHECK OUT
I just moved to Williamsburg a few weeks ago, so everything is new. I can tell you what I’ve found, as a newcomer, that’s been exciting for me.
1. Gimme Coffee – Just go to the website and you’ll see why.
2. Pates Et Traditions – Very friendly and welcoming atmosphere. The people who go there are diverse. The energy has a southern French country feel. I love that the owners are present and lovely.
3. The Bedford L stop. – 1 stop from Manhattan 🙂
Gendalå Kelli Anna
Owner / Educator of Phia Salon