I visited on Saturday. Highly recommend. Not sure where I would place it in the pantheon of art. I’m currently thinking it might be the next generation of street art with tech replacing wheatpaste!
“Every city has a destination for fine arts, theater, music, and film. Our goal is to be the home in those cities for innovative, 21st-century art. A place where one can always get inspired, educated, and empowered by exploring the latest and the best works of art and tech. ”Sandro, Founder and Art Director
After opening in Washington DC in 2017 and Miami last year, ARTECHOUSE has finally made it to NYC.
Their first exhibition, Machine Hallucination by Refik Anadol debuted this week in the former Boiler Room space in the Chelsea Market.
“Machine Hallucination” introduces New Yorkers to Refik Anadol, the Turkish-born, LA-based media artist, who has pioneered the aesthetics of machine intelligence. His body of work positions creativity at the intersection of humans and machines.
- Machine Hallucination is an immersive, digital experience utilizing machine learning and algorithms built on a data set of more than three million images representing various architectural styles and movements.
- As the machine generates a data universe of architectural hallucinations in 512 dimensions, it begins to explore the ways in which knowledge can be experienced spatially.
Know Before You Go
Order your tickets ($24 per person) online and be on time but be prepared for tech glitches (see below). After waiting for 20 minutes for the first slot of the morning, I asked them to rebook me for 12 noon which they were more than happy to do (and they gave me a free drinks ticket good for a mocktail at
- The exhibition is not recommended for individuals who are sensitive to bright or flashing lights. I’m not especially sensitive to lights but there were a few times when I had to shut my eyes so as not to get dizzy.
- Due to the complex technology employed, the installation may require unplanned maintenance; this may result in delays for visitors or in the cancellation of a visit (but you’ll get a refund).
- Participants thought to be unstable or under the influence of drugs or alcohol will not be admitted and will be requested to leave!?!
Scroll down for videos and photos from my visit.
It’s really stunning. The best digital art I’ve seen to date.
I would plan to spend about 30 minutes to an hour here.