“The next major milestone in IT, the fourth platform, will be defined by the ultimate step in proximity: The penetration of the human body and the integration of digital technologies with the human biosystem. This means: the fourth platform is us.”
- IDC predicts that by 2020, one-third of health and life sciences and consumer product companies will develop products that integrate third platform technologies with the human body.
- The goal of the fourth platform is augmented humanity. That means implanted technology for augmented senses, augmented memory and cognition and other physiological improvements.
- The fourth platform will be in the R&D and innovators stage until 2021, the early adopters stage from 2021 to 2026, and the early mainstream stage starting in 2026.
Read on below for more on the boom in AR, VR and digital butlers.
The Coming Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality Boom
Augmented reality layers digital information over what people see in the real world e.g. the Skyview app that I recently wrote about uses AR. Virtual reality, on the other hand, completely immerses people in a digital world.
- Augmented reality is getting started on mobile phones with applications like “Pokemon Go.” It will shift to computerized glasses like Microsoft’s HoloLens.
- 30% of consumer-facing companies in the Forbes Global 2000 will experiment with AR and VR as part of their marketing in 2017. (In my opinion, most of these efforts will be just AWFUL!!)
- Brands like McDonald’s, Budweiser, Kellogg’s, Ikea and Lego are already taking steps to capitalize on the new media.
- By 2020, over a billion people worldwide will regularly access AR and VR content – over 20% of commercial media on Facebook will be 360-degree video and photo content.
Digital Butlers Drive AI Development
- Consumers are pushing the development of artificial intelligence by using voice-activated digital personal assistants like Amazon‘s Echo and Alphabet‘s Google Home devices.
- By 2019, over 110 million consumer devices with embedded intelligent assistants will be installed in U.S. households.