Have you noticed how much more colorful and eclectic things are getting?
- I’ve seen a huge uptick in instagram-centric design popping up in restaurant/bar interiors, museum shows (e.g. the New Museum has become the master of Instagram-worthy exhibitions), hotels, and there’s an enormous amount of instagram creativity showing up in retail pop ups.
Here are a few examples from the past year with more details and pics below:
- Restaurants and bars e.g. Island Oyster Bar on Governor’s Island
- Hotels e.g. new Public Hotel in NYC has a fabulous hidden garden and the escalators have been epic on instagram!!
- Museums, Art Fairs, Galleries e.g. Hauser & Wirth DTLA (without a doubt my favorite art space of all time)
- Retail – I find the pop-ups most interesting
- Billboards/Promo materials e.g. Gucci billboard in Soho by Coco Capitan
To succeed commercially on Instagram, a visual hook or anchor is essential. Here’s what I’ve noticed most often:
- Color e.g. Carthage Must Be Destroyed’s pink
- Pattern e.g. floor tiles at Beekman Hotel
- Murals or Wallpaper e.g. Made Nice’s Shepard Fairey wall
- Colorful installations e.g. Barney’s Holiday Windows
- Views e.g. Island Oyster bar at Governors Island
- Unexpected architecture e.g. The Magnolia Market in Waco built around the silos – FAB!!
- Natural light. This is an extremely important element of instagram-centered design. Dark environments do not photograph as well and will not get as many likes.
Read on below for more examples PLUS photos and instagrams.