Here are seven trends I anticipate will have a huge impact as we head into 2018:
#1: CASH BEGONE!
Massive shift. In 2017, I got cash out of the bank 6 of the last 12 months. In 2016, it was EVERY month. The decrease in cash usage coincided directly with my increased Venmo usage.
- This past weekend when I used an ATM for the first time in 3 months (to get cash for a work project), it really hit home how radically my cash habits had changed.
#2: VOICE IS THE NEW SEARCH
20% of Google searches are now voice activated, and this figure is set to grow to 50% by 2020.
- 40% of adults are using voice search once per day
- 11% of those using voice search started more than 3 years ago; 60% started in the last year and 41% started in the last 6 months.
- I’ve got to start doing this but it makes me feel awkward.
- More details here on how, why and by whom voice is being used.
#3: BITCOIN IS A “MILLENNIAL STORY,” one in three of whom will invest in cryptocurrencies in 2018
“The average millennial is 25 today. The boomers were 25 in 1982, so what did the boomers drive from 1982 to the peak population of the boomers, which was ’99? The S&P 500…Millennials have great interest in digital businesses, social media and Bitcoin and the millennial population is not going to peak until 2040.” (Tom Lee )
I’ve been a big fan of Tom Lee, the co-founder of Fundstrat (and formerly JP Morgan Chase’s chief U.S. equity strategist). I ALWAYS pay attention to what he says because he is rarely wrong.
During a recent interview, Lee predicted that Bitcoin price will continue to rise to reach $25,000 by 2022.
Read on below for top trends in social media.
Read More >