Heading to Des Moines in August for the Iowa State Fair (and if you’ve been reading this blog, you know State Fairs are my thing).
- Top of my to-do list: check out what’s trending in Fair foods, livestock showings and the Thrill Zone!
- 90’s Music Night (Millennials’ favorite pop culture decade).
But, I have an additional reason (beyond the State Fair) to check out Des Moines.
- It came in #3 on the list of cities nationwide where millennials are buying homes.
- 44% of millennials in Des Moines are currently home owners vs. just 20% in the NY Metro area and 18% in LA.
I’m always on the lookout for cities undergoing a renaissance and attracting millennials e.g. Detroit, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia. Excited to add Des Moines to my roster.
Based on this excellent report from credit.com on home ownership among millennials, I’m also recommending the cities on this list for patterning and millennial trend scouting trips.
Read on below for all I am looking forward to exploring while in Des Moines.
The East Village Area – a historic, vibrant area of the city (and where we are staying)
- Scenic Route Bakery – they serve Intelligentsia Coffee
- Zombie Burger & Drink Lab – famous for inventive flavors and a post-apocalyptic chic setting
- Iowa State Capital Bldg (amazing sunset views)
Famous for having the world’s largest selection of American craft beers on tap (not really my thing but the place looks awesome!)
BBQ – it’s HUGE in Des Moines
Hessen Haus – they have polka on the weekends! And the world’s largest selection of German beers