Not only did Dry January seem to be interminable this year, January felt like the longest month ever (so much drama!). But, February is finally here and I am so looking forward to kicking it off with a glass of red wine (perhaps two) at dinner tonight. Rodrigo and Elliott, I cannot wait to see you guys!
So what was my Dry January like this year?
- I’m healthier. I slept better, loved waking up hangover-free, and my osteoarthritis once again feels way better without the inflammation that alcohol exacerbates.
- I lost some weight. Down 2lbs from January 1st.
- Saved a ton of money. Drinking runs up quite a tab. My dinners out cost about half, or sometimes a third, of what my drinking friends were paying.
- Dry January has gotten way more popular. Mintel’s research confirms my observations. Between 2015 and 2019, mentions of Dry January on social media increased by 1083%.
- “Dry January” the way I pronounce it, apparently sounds like “dry gin.” So weird but at three different restaurants, when I said I was not drinking because I was doing “Dry January,” servers came back to me with inquiries about what kind of dry gin I wanted and one said they didn’t have the dry Tanqueray I had ordered! 😜
Equal parts happy that I successfully completed my second Dry January and just happy that it’s over.
Last year, was a major game changer for me. I’m not sure if I’ll see such a dramatic post-January shift this year.
But I am proud of myself for making the commitment and sticking with it.