Instagram is FREE. I know – and I do find it useful to plan trips (hence all the Scandi accounts I follow) but over the last six months I have started to really dislike Instagram.
Besides disliking sponsored content, I hate the fact that they’re messing with my timeline. For example:
- Sometimes I comment on a friend’s post only to realize it is a post from 3 days ago – and it will be right next to a post from 45 seconds ago. Why are they doing this?
- I wondered why people were asking if I was still in the Antarctica – based on Instagram’s algorithms, my friends are probably just seeing me arrive in Ushuaia to embark on the ship. And, of course, I’ve already been home for over a week.
Here’s a sampling of my account as of Wednesday Feb 7, 5pm. Note the order in which I am seeing people’s posts:
- Mitch Epstein – 9 minutes ago
- Dienst and Dotter – 8 hours ago
- James Veloria – 3 hours ago
- SLOAN KETTERING – SPONSORED
- Sodermalm – 11 hours ago
- STUDIO 54 FINE ART – SPONSORED
- Morgenstern’s – 42 mins ago
- ASK ABOUT BIPOLAR DEPRESSION – SPONSORED (what in my account, has pegged me for this?)
- Life of Denmark – 3 hours ago
- SUGGESTIONS FOR YOU – Noooo don’t want suggestions
- Visit Hamburg – SUGGESTED FOR YOU (because I’m following Copenhagen and Stockholm does not mean I want to follow Hamburg!)
- ZILLOW – SPONSORED
- MAYBELLINE – SPONSORED
It’s free, I get it. They need to make money. But when both Facebook and Instagram become overrun with irrelevant sponsored content, and mess with the timeline, it becomes pretty useless.
Also, I know they are measuring to the nth degree, how much sponsored content they can push my way before I start requesting “Hide Ad.” They seem to show me fewer ads after I block them consistently. But there’s got to be a better way.
Anyone else have these issues or am I just being overly demanding?