Dictionary.com just added 300 new words and revised over 1700 entries. Many of the words have to do with systemic injustices and oppression (e.g. intersectionality, misgender, woke). Some of the new words already seem ancient e.g. lumbersexual.
My top 10 include:
- Free-range parenting: when parents allow children to move about without adult supervision, aimed at instilling independence and self-reliance. Often annoying to non-parents.
- Ghosting: the practice of suddenly ending all contact with a person without explanation, especially in a romantic relationship. This is probably my fave new word!!
- Hot take: a superficially researched and hastily written journalistic piece, online post, etc., that presents opinions as facts and is often moralistic.
- Manspreading: to sit with one’s legs far apart, taking up too much space on a seat shared with other people. Particularly relevant to those of us traveling on subways!!
- NBD: acronym for no big deal.
- Panromantic: a person who is romantically attracted to people of all sexual orientations and gender identities.
- Totes: totally.
- Train wreck: a person who has experienced a personal failure, disaster, etc. (Can’t believe this is new, but def a goodie!)
- Warmist: a person who accepts global warming as a reality (a term used by people who reject the concept).
- Zika virus: a mosquito-borne virus of the genus Flavivirus that causes Zika.