Have you noticed how much more colorful and eclectic things are getting?
- I’ve seen a huge uptick in instagram-centric design popping up in restaurant/bar interiors, museum shows (e.g. the New Museum has become the master of Instagram-worthy exhibitions), hotels, and there’s an enormous amount of instagram creativity showing up in retail pop ups.
Here are a few examples from the past year with more details and pics below:
- Restaurants and bars e.g. Island Oyster Bar on Governor’s Island
- Hotels e.g. new Public Hotel in NYC has a fabulous hidden garden and the escalators have been epic on instagram!!
- Museums, Art Fairs, Galleries e.g. Hauser & Wirth DTLA (without a doubt my favorite art space of all time)
- Retail – I find the pop-ups most interesting
- Billboards/Promo materials e.g. Gucci billboard in Soho by Coco Capitan
To succeed commercially on Instagram, a visual hook or anchor is essential. Here’s what I’ve noticed most often:
- Color e.g. Carthage Must Be Destroyed’s pink
- Pattern e.g. floor tiles at Beekman Hotel
- Murals or Wallpaper e.g. Made Nice’s Shepard Fairey wall
- Colorful installations e.g. Barney’s Holiday Windows
- Views e.g. Island Oyster bar at Governors Island
- Unexpected architecture e.g. The Magnolia Market in Waco built around the silos – FAB!!
- Natural light. This is an extremely important element of instagram-centered design. Dark environments do not photograph as well and will not get as many likes.
Read on below for more examples PLUS photos and instagrams.
Magnolia Market at the Silos: Chip and Joanna Gaines’ Retail Powerhouse in Waco, Texas
Oculus: Westfield Mall NYC
Raygun, Des Moines
Uniqlo: “Art for all” street art pop up and products produced by Jeffrey Deitch
Google Pop Up Store
Casper Mattress Pop Up
My friend, Amanda Dolan’s SparkPretty pop up celebrating all things 90’s (now to become a permanent store)
Holiday Windows NYC: Barney’s are always especially creative and wacky
Gucci Billboard by Coco Capitan
Brooklyn Grange: Rooftop Farm Dinners
Morgenstern’s Finest Ice Cream – all about the blue, the nostalgic ice cream parlor and instagrammable ice creams
Carthage Must Be Destroyed/Bushwick – PINK – LOVE this restaurant
Island Oyster’s Yellow Awning – brand new on Governor’s Island
Le Coucou Restaurant Bar, NYC – the two most instagrammable elements – bar mural and lights
Made Nice’s Shepard Fairey Wall
The Grey in Savannah – fabulous restaurant in a renovated GreyLine Bus Terminal
Truck Yard/Dallas – Complex housing food trucks in an expansive, retro outdoor space with treehouse & trailer bars.
The Optimist, Atlanta – wonderful seafood restaurant with an equally wonderful outdoor space for live music and mini golf
Bacchanalia Restaurant in Atlanta – extremely instagram-worthy
ART: MUSEUMS, GALLERIES, ART FAIRS
Maurizio Cattelan and Pierpaolo Ferrari’s “More is More” show at Cadillac house – specifically designed for instagramming
Yayoi Kusama – she’s 89 but the queen of instagram!!!
Hauser & Wirth, Downtown LA – my favorite gallery!!!
DEITCH PROJECTS: Eddie Peake Performance
Ugo Rondinone, Seven Magic Mountains Las Vegas (Produced by Art Production Fund, New York and Nevada Museum of Art, Reno)
Life Is Beautiful Festival – Art Installations Downtown Las Vegas (Organized by Charlotte Dutoit/JustKids)
New Museum: Pipilotti Rist/Pixel Forest
Whitney Museum: 80’s show/ Biennial
Met Museum: Rei Kawakubo/ Comme des Garcons Exhibition
Standard Hotel EV Winter Garden: Is anything more instagrammable than a yurt??
Beekman – amazing atrium and gorgeous floor tiling
Dallas Arbortereum – phenomenal seasonal instagram opportunities