Howard Street is where you will find the newly opened, totally magnificent Roman and Williams GUILD (photo above).
It’s remarkable how much retail and culinary creativity has found its way to this short span of Howard Street – a mere 5 blocks from Center to Mercer Streets.
And that’s not all. Isn’t it beyond poetic that Howard is now anchored at one end by Le Coucou and at the other end, by the brand new La Mercerie (part of the GUILD). Both are part of the Starr Restaurant Group (and it gets even better? weirder? read below).
- Both restaurants were designed by Roman and Williams (my favorite design firm)
- Le Coucou, located on the ground floor of the 11 Howard Hotel is helmed by chef Daniel Rose (formerly of Paris’ Spring restaurant). It has been one of the hottest spots in town, almost impossible to get a reservation – even for hotel guests.
- Le Mercerie Cafe, in the newly opened GUILD is at 53 Howard. It is not yet open for dinner (daytime service only). The chef is Marie-Aude Rose, who also cooked at acclaimed Paris restaurant Spring — which is where she met her husband Daniel Rose, the chef at Le Coucou. How crazy is that?
Scroll down for more Howard Street highlights.
- Love this hotel – the design is very Scandi – but I must confess that some of my clients/friends are NOT fans. Rooms are too small they say and some have complained that being in a room near the hotel’s Blond bar, gets horrendously noisy.
- Le Coucou is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is one of the most beautiful interiors I have seen, definitely worth checking out.
- Another option for breakfast is the hotel’s Library, a cool spot to have a meeting, catch up on work or just chill.
- The Oliver Gustav Studio on the ground floor of the hotel is worth checking out as well. Beautiful array of items for the home with a Scandinavian aesthetic.
Tom Dixon, 19 Howard
Very expensive furniture and home furnishings (lamps etc). A little too flashy for my liking but worth checking out.
Smile-To-Go, 22 Howard
Very cool outpost of the original Smile on Bond Street. A great spot to get coffee, sandwiches and pastries.
Sleepy Jones, 25 Howard
High-end pajamas and robes. Fun store and it smells amazing!!
Rick Owens, 30 Howard
LOVE LOVE LOVE this store. Has to be one of the MOST beautiful retailers in NYC.
Staff is fantastic!! Major shout out to Milton.
I absolutely adore these clothes but even at 50% off way beyond my budget.
Opening Ceremony, 35 Howard
The original pioneers of this stretch of Chinatown/Soho all the way back in 2002.
However, I am underwhelmed by the store now (may be that Rick Owens was still so on my mind).
OC may have been edgy back in the day but today it looks a little cheesy.
The Mask Bar, 36 Howard
Small space but huge selection of Korean face masks.
Stadium Goods, 47 Howard
Gigantic retail & consignment store showcasing rare & limited edition sneakers.
I was intrigued by their selection of Supreme x Vuitton items until I zoned in on the prices: wallets for $2000!!
Palace Skateboards, 49 Howard
Modern, minimalist NYC outpost for this hip London-based streetwear & skateboard brand.
LOVE the vibe of this store but I hear it is being revamped in January to become more “flashy” – undoubtedly to be more competitive with Stadium Goods which is always jampacked vs. Palace’s more minimalist crowds.
AND THEN THE CRÈME DE LA CRÈME:
GUILD by Roman and Williams, 53 Howard
This has to be the most gorgeous space in all of Manhattan not just on Howard Street.
Currently includes 3 separate elements:
Emily Thompson Flower Store up front. Emily does all the exquisite flower arrangements throughout the store and the restaurant. She also does the flowers at Le Coucou, just down the street.
La Mercerie Café – all the furniture and tableware are from the Roman and Williams collection and available for purchase in the store
The Roman and Williams Guild Store – offering everything from tables, chairs, couches, beds, lighting fixtures and home goods – breathtakingly beautiful.
Still under development downstairs: Library and Private Dining Room. The dining room will seat 24.