Another summer, another State Fair. Last year it was Texas, this year we hit up Iowa. For my tastes, Iowa is a more quintessential Fair experience.
- Huge focus on livestock and farming – my absolute favorite reason to check out a fair. And this fair provides an extra special treat by highlighting birthing animals – everything from chickens hatching (video above) to pigs and horses.
- It’s less commercial and corporate (vs. Texas)
- Des Moines is my kind of town
Another major reason to check out State and County Fairs is the perspective they provide on what is trending culturally, socially and economically around the country.
- Highly recommend a state fair immersion to all my marketing and entrepreneur friends. It’s both eye-opening and inspiring when it comes to experiencing firsthand what people are eating, drinking, wearing.
- The Iowa State Fair runs August 10-20. Many other fairs run through September and even October e.g. Nebraska (August 25-September 4th) and Texas (Sept. 29- Oct. 22).
Read on below for highlights with lots of video and pics.
IT’S A VISUAL TREAT
So bummed we missed the chicken washing and blow-drying demonstration
ENTERTAINMENT & EXPERIENCES
I Love The 90’s with Salt N Pepa (who were awesome!), Tone Loc, Coolio (he’s ready to go off the rails) and headlined by Vanilla Ice (who is looking mighty fine!)
Transformers – we weren’t sure if these were Times Square-type hustlers or Fair-sponsored
Mountain Man Skills: Knife and Hawk
Social Media/Instagram Moments
IANTHE AND ME IN OUR MATCHING HATS….