For the time being, I am giving up on Snapchat except for random street stuff (see reasons below).
- BUT I do want to dial up my Instagram game and will be doing a series of “around the neighborhood” stories to practice.
- Follow me if you want to see how I’m doing with my Insta skills over the next month. For those of you who may not be on Instagram, remember that the Stories are only up for 24 hours and they are accessed by clicking on the round icons at the top of the page.
- I’ve attached a video of Sunday’s story that we can use as a starting point.
- I feel like I have a lot of material to work with but I am not very fun or engaging on video vs. my friend, Laetitia (on this video with me) who always manages to be warm and funny and charismatic (perhaps it’s because she’s French? Or maybe she was born with it?)
But help is at hand. I just discovered this excellent verge.com piece by Zainab Hasnain on how to post instagram stories like a pro. Well worth a read!
Read on below for the main reasons why I am focusing more on Instagram Stories vs. Snapchat but also what I still love about Snap.
#1: Instagram has a larger audience than Snapchat
According to TechCrunch, as of April, Instagram had 700 million active monthly users of which 250 million used Instagram Stories. Snapchat has 166 million users.
- I typically get about 5x more views on an Instagram story than on snapchat and it’s going up.
- Also, I am finding that at least 50% of the people I was following on snapchat are either NO LONGER posting on the platform or have significantly cut back their engagement.
#2: Instagram Lets You Use Hashtags
Which makes it so much easier to get followers/viewers and they also have the @ so you can directly connect with brands, friends etc.
Snapchat is still – without a doubt – more fun and more creative
- Everything about snapchat is more fun and more spontaneous.
- Their filters, stickers etc are so much more creative.
- Instagram feels positively corporate compared to snap and yet, at the end of the day, it’s about how much engagement you get…