September is going to be a MASSIVE travel month for me. Starting with the Life Is Beautiful Festival in Downtown Las Vegas, followed by a quick visit to LA to check out the Broad Museum and the new 365 Whole Foods. Then on to Dallas.
I am absolutely thrilled about our trip (a pilgrimage really!) to the mecca of Fried Food: the Texas State Fair. And that’s not all, we are also driving to Waco to check out Chip and Joanna Gaines’ Magnolia Market at the Silos.
Here are the 5 things I am MOST excited about checking out at the Texas State Fair:
FRIED FOOD: Fried Jello, Bacon Wrapped Churros, Funnel Cake Sundae, Fried Bacontilla, Injectable Great Balls of BBQ, Edible Colas. See below for the full list of semi-finalists for the Big Tex Choice Awards (foods that will be voted on for inclusion at the Fair). I’m also hoping Abel Gonzalez will be there. He was nominated as “Texan of the Year” in 2009 for his invention: fried butter.
You may be asking yourself how I can write that I want to lose 20lbs and then get excited about fried food. Truth be told, I do not like fried food (never have) so this is strictly for trend scouting purposes and with 6 of us on this trip, we can cover a lot of territory on the fried front without going crazy!!
LIVESTOCK & 4H EXHIBITS: I want to take a Livestock Guided Tour with the resident student experts. We’ll check out more than 15 different breeds of cattle, along with sheep, rabbits, llamas and more. Also, Livestock 101 Stage and daily Milking Demonstrations!
THE AUTO SHOW: Texas is the only state fair with a full-blown auto show, the largest new car show in the Southwest.
THE TAYLOR SWIFT EXPERIENCE: A brand new exhibit of memorabilia from her archive including “the light blue Reem Acra gown she wore at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas during the ACM Awards 50th Anniversary.”
CANSTRUCTION: An exhibition displaying art structures made entirely of canned food items. At the end of the competition, all canned food will be donated to the North Texas Food Bank.
See below for total food entries.
2016 Big Tex Choice Awards Semi-Finalists
- Bacon Wrapped Churros
- Down Home Chicken Pot Pie Pocket (with mac ‘n cheese dip)
- Bacon Wrapped Pork Belly on a Stick
- Fried Cookies & Cream Sundae
- Barn Yard Burger
- Fried Jell-O
- Buffalo Chicken Jalapeno Poppers
- Fried Prime Rib Quesadill”O”
- Caribbean Pineapple Korn-a-Copia
- Funnel Cake Sundae
- Crunchy Fried Oinkers
- Holy Guacamole Balls
- Dallas’ Fried Bacontilla
- Injectable Great Balls of BBQ
- Deep Fried Bacon Burger Dog Sliders on a Stick
- Loaded Bacon Mashed Potato Egg Roll
- Deep Fried Bacon Wrapped Tater’ Dog
- Lollipop Fried Bacon Wrapped Quail Breast on a Stick
- Deep Fried Cannoli Bites
- Pina-A lot-Ta
- Deep Fried Cheeseburger Stuffed Onion Rings
- Seductive Fried Sea Salt Caramel Wrap
- Deep Fried Chicken Basket
- Shrimp Fritters
- Deep Fried Hawaiian Hoops
- Southern Fried Chicken & Dumplin’s
- Deep Fried Nachos
- State Fair Cookie Fries
- Deep Fried Pulled Pork “Funyun” Dings
- State Fair Edible Colas
- Deep Fried Smoked Salmon & Bacon Croquettes
- Texas Fried Buffalo Quail
- Dorito Bacon Fried Cheese Stick
- Texas Fried Pinatacolupa