Last year, Clint Peralta, one of my best sources when it comes to trends, told me I MUST visit Happier Camper in LA’s Frogtown (pic upper left).
He was right. Here’s the post (#3 in this link).
Now, however, he’s shown himself to be even more prescient. Bloomberg recently ran a piece on the twee RV movement and Happier Camper is featured prominently right along with Winnebago and Airstream.
- The RV industry just had its best year in four decades, thanks to the popularity of trimmed-down rigs, like Winnebago’s Winnie, the kitschy Basecamp from Airstream, and LA’s own retro-inspired Happier Camper.
- Winnebago recently bought Grand Design RV, which makes a line of towable rigs, more efficient, affordable and culturally relevant than gigantic, gas-guzzling RVs.
- Grand Design complements a growing line of minimalist products at Winnebago, including the adorable Winnie Drop (pic above, lower right).
- Winnebago sales surged 64% with almost half coming from towable rigs
- The pint-size RV trend coincides with the tiny-house movement and #vanlife.