No surprise that technology skills are in high demand (despite Mark Cuban’s recent assertion that “Liberal Arts Is The Future”).
Here are some statistics to back up the tech claim:
A recent workplace study from Future Workplace and Beyond found:
- 14% of job seekers are liberal arts majors
- 2% of companies are actively recruiting liberal arts majors
- 15% of job seekers are engineering and computer information systems majors
- 30% of companies are actively recruiting those majors.
- One of the hottest new areas in tech in 2017 is virtual reality (VR).
- Healthcare and retirement plans continue to be the most important benefits for job seekers
- For younger workers, flextime and student loan repayment are topping the charts
- Flextime is the #1 driver of employee retention
- 55% of companies now offer some form of flexible work scheduling
- Student loan debt passed the $1 trillion mark in 2012 and exceeds credit card debt and auto loans.
- 76% of college students say student loan repayment benefits could be a deciding factor in accepting a job
- Only 4% of companies currently offer such a benefit