I’ve rarely done such a 180 degree turn as I’ve done on “wifey.” It’s a term that’s always made me cringe. I find it condescending and infantilizing.
Over the last year, however, I’ve noticed more guys (especially younger, recently married ones) doing shout-outs to their “wifeys” on social media.
So I became increasingly intrigued.
- According to Urban Dictionary, the term has been in use, as a high-level compliment, since at least 2005.
- Wifey means “girlfriend described as wife material”. This is the most common definition for wifey on Snapchat, WhatsApp, Facebook, and Twitter.
- According to Merriam-Webster, the first known use of wifey was in 1786.
I kept digging around and finally struck pay dirt:
A slew of new product introductions built around the WIFEY theme (and frequently created by, or inspired by, the wifey of a high profile couple):
- Kith Treats introduces Wifey ice cream (Feb 2018)
- Jeffree Star Cosmetics introduces Wifey lipstick (2017?)
- Steve Madden introduces Wifey Rhinestone Ankle Boots (Dec 2017)
Read on below for more on the WIFEY trend and the influencers involved.
KITH TREATS introduces The Wifey ice cream
The Wifey, created by Ronnie Fieg’s 24 year old wife (Shir Yaakov), was introduced for Valentine’s Day 2018. It features Kariot hazelnut cream cereal which is imported from Israel and known for its sweet, crispy exterior and hazelnut nougat filling.
Wifey Lipstick from JEFFREE STAR COSMETICS
Jeffree Star is an American Internet celebrity, makeup artist, entrepreneur, and musician.
In 2014, he founded his own cosmetics company, Jeffree Star Cosmetics; he subsequently began promoting the brand on YouTube, where he has since amassed more than 10 million subscribers and over 1 billion views, as of 2018.
He resides in Calabasas, California with his boyfriend, Nathan Schwandt.
Wifey Lipstick was introduced in 2017 (??).
Wifey Rhinestone Ankle Boots by STEVE MADDEN in collaboration with Cardi B.
Cardi B. collaborated with Steve Madden on a new line inspired by shoe styles she loves to wear including Glitter boots called “Wifey.” Note: They are NOT a couple but she has been a longtime fan of his shoes.
ADDITIONAL WIFEY TREND INFLUENCERS:
Leonard Kim (587K followers on Twitter)
Wifey stayed home while I ran errands etc etc etc
Kanye West calls Kim Kardashian, WIFEY on new track (May 2018)
“Wanna know how I feel? Step into my minefield/ Wanna know how pain feels? I got off my main pills. Bet my wifey stay close, she know I’m on my Bezos/ Opioid addiction, pharmacy’s the real trap/ Sometimes I feel trapped, Jordan with no Phil Jack.”
- I started this blog back in 2012 to share my experience as a first time husband. Fast forward to today, and there are two babies and a mortgage involved (insanity level 100). Follow me as I try to navigate through this whole husband and parenting thing.
#wifeymaterial on Instagram: 463K posts
Wow. I was so off base in my initial reaction to “wifey.” And I’ll be the first to admit that this difference in perspective comes down strictly on generational lines.
I still don’t like hearing someone called “wifey” but I get it. And I must say, I do like the collaborative, entrepreneurial nature of the wifey product lines I found.
So carry on, young grasshoppers, you’ve made me feel really old on this one!!